Finding good guidebooks can be a challenge. To help you out I havecreated a list of recommended guidebooks for the different crags I have visited. If you have great insights I have overlooked please do not hesitate leaving a comment below.
- Book named by author / publisher/ main languages / publication year / pages / ISBN / my thoughts on the book
- Chamonix: A Guide to the Best Rock Climbs and Mountain Routes Around Chamonix and Mont-Blanc by Charlie Boscoe and Jack Geldard / Rockfax / English / 2016 / 456 pages / ISBN: 9781873341575 / Without doubt the best guidebook on Chamonix – this is the Bible! It contains all relevant, classic climbing routes and long multi-pitch rock routes in Chamonix – well, basically on the Mont Blanc massif, which also includes routes on the Italian and Swiss sides as well. This is a must-have without doubt. It is big, bulky and heavy, so don’t expect that you can bring it with you while climbing. Rockfax, however, has a mobile app, where you can buy specific routes from the book.
- Arco Plaisir 2nd edition by Florian Kluckner / Idea Montagna / German, Italian / 2016 / 223 pages / ISBN: 9788897299998 / Great guidebook with about 100 different sport and traditional multi pitch routes in the Arco valley in the Trentino region all of which is nicely described in text and with a related topography of the specific route. Very easy to understand. Routes mentioned are typically 100 to 350 meters and 4 to 8 pitches. The book does not include single pitch routes nor big wall climbs.
- Rjukan – Selected Ice Climbs by Steve Broadband / Oxford Alpine Club / English / 2017 / Great guidebook on Rjukan’s best ice climbing routes. Has highly detailed color pictures of each route. The descriptions of the routes however are not detailed, but it proves a good overview of must-climb routes in Rjukan and the nearby area. A sample of the book is actually published on Issuu https://issuu.com/oxfordalpineclub/docs/oac_rjukan_guide_issuu_sample.
- Winter Climbs in the Cairngorms by Allan Fyffe and Blair Fyffe / Cicerone Press / English / 2011 / 272 pages / ISBN: 9781852846220 / The guidebook contains topographies of 51 different mixed ice climbing routes documentation in the Cairngorms national park. It contains plenty of pictures and the area is well described. The routes are well described as well, but the topographies of the different route is sparse of detail making it hard to read the routes. The book is pocket sized and the cover is coated making it great to bring to the crag.